Make this Memorial Day memorable with an elegant back yard picnic and lots of family time. Spend time together cooking the meal and decorating your yard. Invite other families over for a picnic followed by board and lawn games in the afternoon light.
Rosemary symbolizes remembrance so use lots of it in your decor and share stories of the service men and women in your family lineage as you celebrate the day.
Wind down the night with Americana classics, root beer floats and sparklers.
Memorial Day Picnic Menu
Peach Iced Tea
Grilled Pork Tenderloin Baguette Sandwich with Strawberry Chutney and Frisée
Potato Salad Gribiche
Raw Kale Salad with Strawberries, Almonds and Basil
Root Beer Floats
PS- Check back tomorrow for the FABULOUS Sherry Lemonade recipe, from Margaret Lagrotteria’s entertaining arsenal. A grown up slushy you will not forget. All the recipes for this picnic featured on The Daily Meal!
Our favorite desserts are no bake, no fuss and a major joy. We put 10 of them together for The Daily Meal today. And, yes, this is what our job looks like. (Some days at least).
If you’re worried about not putting in the extra effort to make dessert, remember our cardinal rules of entertaining: one course should be entirely store-bought.
Next time you’re hosting buy a few good-quality ingredients and assemble dessert. No one will notice, or if you have friends who care then reconsider the friendship.
Enjoy! We did.
1. Strawberries mixed with lemon whipped cream (add zest to cream before whipping)
2. Strawberries dipped in lemon curd- yogurt sauce (make just the lemon-yogurt sauce from this recipe)
3. Italian-style affogato–espresso and whipped cream over gelato
4. Root beer floats in tall chilled glasses with striped straws
5. Fresh fruit and decadent chocolate bars
6. Store-bought angel food cake, toasted with a smear of Nutella and and a sprinkle of toasted almonds, hazelnuts or sea salt
7. Ice cream sandwiches made with good bakery cookies, Haagen-Daz ice cream and sprinkle of sea salt
8. Fresh berries tossed with good balsamic vinegar, chopped basil and a dollop of sweetened mascarpone
9. Biscotti al Vin Santo: Store-bought biscotti with Vin Santo and seasonal fruit
10. Baklava and mint tea
Any favorites we forgot?