Did you see Lydia’s Top 5 entertaining rules? Numbers 1 and 3 are rules to live by! Here are my additions …
1. Plan a menu that can be done almost entirely ahead of time. Bonus: less kitchen clean-up on party night.
2. Light lots of candles. None of them scented.
3. Cook according to the season.
This should be obvious, but hosts repeat dishes they’re comfortable making even when they are a gross mismatch with the season. A good air conditioner does not make July a prime time to serve chicken with morels. Sure, it happens. But it shouldn’t. Bonus: your food will taste better, guaranteed.
4. Buy ice and lots of it. Buy twice as much as you think you need. Then add a bag. You’ll go through half a bag per person at least.
5. Give yourself time to apply lipstick and mascara and turn the music up before your friends arrive. Doing a little boogie in front of the mirror starts the night right!
Fun entertaining fact: MFK Fisher hung a mirror and kept lipstick in her kitchen so she’d always be ready to join the crowd.
What are your “rules”? The rest of our A & O team will be sharing theirs soon.
Fun with rules-who knew?!