The last installment in our Entertaining Rules series comes just in time for your Thanksgiving prep! Élan is our resident baking guru, she is especially gifted with gluten-free and vegan delights in the most creative flavor combinations. Horchata cupcakes, almond cake with Thai iced tea frosting, strawberry margarita cupcakes, all GF and vegan too. A talented cook with a gift for organization. xo, LEH
Élan’s Top 5 (highly debatable) Entertaining Rules
1. Make dessert something to look forward to. I’m a sucker for a good dessert, but I’ll pass it up if it’s not worth the indulgence.
2. Make an organized to-do-list. A step-by-step shopping and prep list will give you a better sense of what you have to do (and how much you can prep beforehand!).
3. Make your expectations clear. As a partygoer I’m always happy to bring something, but I hate the idea of bringing something totally superfluous or something the host already has. If you’re throwing a party and guests ask/offer to bring something, point them in the right direction.
4. Let your iPod rip. Create a playlist beforehand worthy of the atmosphere you want to create. That way you can hit play as you finish getting ready and not worry about that recording of you playing Dorothy in high school spoiling the mood.
5. Enjoy yourself! No one’s judging you on the fold of your napkins or if the wine is served a degree or two in the wrong direction. If you’re having fun, your guests will, too.